Foods high in fiber have many health benefits. In fact, the FDA says regular consumption of soluble fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease. The recommended daily intake for fiber is 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men. Unfortunately, 90% of people in the United States fall short of this recommendation.
Fiber helps with digestion, regularity and is considered a filler. Fiber can help people who want to lose weight by making them feel fuller, sooner. Here are some tips to getting more fiber in your life:
- Get a good start. Start with a good breakfast cereal that has at least 4 grams of fiber per serving.
- Eat more whole fruit. Apples, bananas, pears and berries are all good sources of fiber.
- Switch to whole grains. Choose whole grains, over white and refined bread products.
- Eat more legumes. Add peas, beans and lentils to foods. Add beans to your soups and salads.
- Snack Smarter. Fresh and dried fruit, raw vegetables and even popcorn are good sources of fiber.